Tuesday, August 24, 2004

Yours might have been ugly, but at least it still exists. The town I was born in was turned into a big brown hole before I had my first birthday - I take it as a signpost for the rest of my life.

"It isn’t often that architects and urban planners get the opportunity to build a town from scratch. But this was the case in the 1920s with the Victorian company town of Yallourn, designed on what were at the time considered the best “hygienic and aesthetic principles”. It WAS a pretty little model garden town, full of carefully designed public buildings and houses. But today it exists only in the landscape of memory. It has been completely obliterated. The old town of Yallourn existed til the 1970's when it was "dismantled" and the houses and services shifted due to coal excavations occuring under the town."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home